For our Asia-Pacific customers, the term "Trust Account" is used, while European customers refer to it as "Client Account". It's important to mention that the Client/Trust Accounting functionality does not apply to customers in North America. For further information on regional terms, check out our Glossary of Regional Terminology.
This article provides step-by-step instructions for deleting a bank statement from your Client/Trust Account. There are times when a statement may be imported erroneously, and knowing how to remove it correctly ensures the integrity of your account records. Be assured, this guide will help you navigate the deletion process quickly and effectively.
Before you proceed with deleting a bank statement, make sure to:
- Verify Transactions - Ensure that all transactions imported from the statement are either not processed or, if processed, are unreconciled and reversed.
- Manage Expenditure - Handle any spent items outside of the system without uploading any bank files.
Deleting a Bank Statement
- Navigate to the Client / Trust Account page.
- Select View bank statements found on the right side of the page.
- Find the specific bank statement you wish to delete and click on its View link under the Transactions heading.
Unreconciling Transactions (if required)
- For reconciled transactions within the statement, click the Unreconcile button next to each transaction.
- Provide a reason for the reversal in the prompted dialog box and click the red Unreconcile and Reverse This Transaction to reverse the transaction. Remember, choosing the orange Unreconcile This Transaction button will only unreconcile the transaction without reverting the payment allocation, not affecting the invoice’s paid status.
Proceed to Delete Statement
- If there are no transactions to unreconcile, or once all desired transactions have been unreconciled and reversed, look for the Delete Statement button in the top right corner and click to initiate the deletion.
- A prompt will appear to confirm your intention. Continue with the deletion by affirming the action.
[Add a screenshot showing the delete and unreconcile process]
Handling Duplicate Bank Statement Entries
Occasionally, duplicate entries can emerge when importing a bank statement. If you encounter duplication, it’s worth waiting a day for the system to update correctly. If a decision is made to delete a reconciled bank statement, the same steps outlined above apply:
- Locate the reconciled bank statement in question.
- Click the Unreconcile button for each reconciled amount. Avoid using the Unreconcile and Reverse option unless necessary, as this could incorrectly mark paid invoices as unpaid.
- Once all duplicates are unreconciled, the Delete Statement button will become available for you to delete the bank statement.
It’s good to note that deleted statements will be recorded in history marked with a ‘Deleted’ status for reference.
See these related articles for further assistance:
- Article 1
- Article 2