Welcome to our comprehensive guide on setting up and finalizing tax returns for property owners. Across different regions, this process might refer to GST, Tax, or VAT returns. For consistency within this article, we will use the term "Tax". For a deeper understanding of regional terminology, please visit our Glossary of Regional Terminology.
This article walks you through the complete process from the initial setup of an owner for tax returns to creating, viewing, editing, and finalizing these returns in our system. Whether it's the owner's first return or part of their routine financial management, our steps are designed to streamline your efforts for accuracy and compliance.
Initial Setup for Tax Return Creation
If this is the first time a tax return is being created for the Owner, we recommend to create a tax return first with dates that don't reflect the actual period you wish to create, this will ensure that it removes all existing financial data and will only then populate the required information for the actual period that you wish you generate this report for.
Here are the key settings to adjust during your first-time setup:
- Tax number: It should be sourced from the property owner's contact details or added anew.
- Accounting basis: Select between 'Invoice' or 'Cash'.
- Tax period frequency: Establish how often returns are required.
- First tax period start date: Set the commencement date for records in the system.
To modify these settings later on, use the Edit Settings for Owner option.
Creating and Managing a New Tax Return
Launching a new tax return is straightforward:
- Click on Create Tax Return in the relevant section.
- Select the Company and then the Owner you're creating the return for.
The GST/VAT Details segment shows all relevant transactions organized by tax type and can be exported in PDF or CSV formats. Pay close attention to the basis under which the owner operates (Invoice or Cash), as this determines which transactions are included in the return.
Editing Transactions within the Tax Return
Should you need to adjust invoices or credit notes:
- Choose the transaction and click Edit.
- Remember to include latest changes to refresh the tax return accordingly.
Finalizing the Tax Return
Before finalizing the tax return:
- Review all details meticulously, ensuring they align with actual financial activities.
- Click on Include Latest Changes to update the return with any recent modifications.
- Proceed to Finalise Tax Return once you're confident about the details.
Post-finalization, you have options to download the documentation, delete (if finalized in error), or view details.
Editing documents included in a finalized Tax Return is possible, but it requires caution due to tax implications. We recommend you consult an accountant or professional advisor if adjustments are crucial.
See these related articles for further assistance:
- Article 1
- Article 2